Which version of Java should I download for my 64-bit Windows operating system?
This article applies to:
- Platform(s): Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2008 Server
- Browser(s): Internet Explorer 8.x, Internet Explorer 7.x
- Java version(s): 6.0, 6u10+
If you are using:
- 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE), you need to download 32-bit Java (Verify browser)
- 64-bit IE, you need to download 64-bit Java (Verify browser)
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit IE, you need to download both 32-bit and 64-bit Java respectively
Windows 64-bit operating system comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browsers. 32-bit IE comes as a default. There are different versions of Java software available for download depending on whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit IE browsers.
Please note that the 64-bit Java is presented as a download option automatically for 64-bit Internet Explorer users, as it is the only officially available 64-bit browser for Windows.
Java for 32-bit Internet Explorer
Users should download 32-bit Java software, if they are using 32-bit IE. For downloading and installing 32-bit Java on your system
- Go to Java.com.
- Click on the Free Java Download button, and start the installation process
For instructions on installing Java on your system please visit
32-bit installation instructions
Java for 64-bit Internet Explorer
Users should download 64-bit Java software, if they are running 64-bit IE. For downloading 64-bit Java click 64-bit manual download
Follow these instructions for installing 64-bit Java on your system.
- Click Windows XP/Vista/2003/2008 (64-bit). The File Download dialog box appears.
- Choose the folder location. (Save the file to a known location on your computer, for example, to your desktop) and Click Save.
- Close all applications including the browser.
- Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation process
Java for both 32-bit and 64-bit IE browsers.
If you use both 32-bit and 64-bit browser interchangeably, you need a Java Plug-in for each browser. Hence you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java respectively.
Verify if you are using 32-bit or 64-bit IE browser.
Follow these steps to verify whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer browser.
- Click on the Help tab at the top.
- Select About Internet Explorer which will bring up an information window.
- If version of IE displays 64-bit Edition, then it is 64-bit IE, otherwise it is 32-bit browser.