VAASTU SHASTRA – BATHROOM (TOILET)
The Toilets and Bathrooms today, are an integral part of the House unlike in the olden days when there was no water supply through pipes and no drainage and sewage pipeline system, and people were forced to use open spaces as Toilets for daily ablutions. However today with the easy availability of water through taps and underground sewage pipeline system, toilets and bathrooms have become a part of the house, with the W.C., wash basin and bath shower/bath tub , all combined in one room, commonly known as the Bathroom. Here are some of the Vaastu Guidelines to be considered, while designing a Bathroom, also known as a Toilet.
LOCATION OF A BATHROOM:
· Toilets should to be in the North-West or West of the house/building.
· If it is an attached toilet, it should preferably be to the North-West side of the room.
· If the West and North-West corners are not available, the next best option is the South-East of the building or room.
· Avoid constructing a toilet in the center of the building and in the North-East corner of the building.
· The toilet should be one or two feet higher than the ground level.
FLOORING OF A BATHROOM:
· The Bathroom floor level should be one or two feet higher than the ground level.
· Marble or granite tiles should not be used for flooring in the Bathroom.
· Use anti-skid flooring only.
LOCATION OF WASH BASIN, W.C., BATH TUB/SHOWER, AND OTHER FIXTURES:
· The Wash Basin, Bathtubs and shower area should be placed on the North-East, North, or East sides of the room.
· The Commode or WC should be in the West, the South or the North-West side of the west in the Bathroom.
· The commode should be oriented such that person sitting on the WC, faces either towards the North or the South and not in the E-W direction.
· When lying in a bathtub, the head position should be in the South.
· Mirrors in the Bathroom may be on the North and East walls.
POSITIONS OF DOORS AND WINDOWS IN A BATHROOM:
· In the Bathroom, if possible, there should be a small window in the East or West and a bigger window in the North after providing for privacy.
· The door of the Bathroom should be in the East or the North direction as far as possible.
VAASTU COLORS FOR A BATHROOM:
· The colour of the walls of the Bathroom can be according to one’s choice but it is preferable to have light shades. Avoid red and black color.
VAASTU EVALUATION EXERCISE FOR THE BATHROOM (TOILET):
This exercise is just a guideline to help you decide, where to position the Bathroom in your house plan. In case you already have a house, then this exercise will help you to evaluate the location of your existing Bathroom as per Vastu Shastra principles. Accordingly, you can decide if you want to make some corrections and changes to your house.
· Note the score for the following question and enter it in the score sheet.
· Total the points.
· The points indicate how favorable your House is, according to Vaastu.
· The interpretation of the record of points is given at the end of the SCORE SHEET
POSITION OF THE BATHROOM (TOILET):
This post is about the Vastu guidelines for the design of a Bathroom. The Bathroom is accessed from the Bedroom. Read the Vastu guidelines for the design of this space here:
Vaastu Shastra is a rational science based on facts, observations and governed by a set of principles. To understand the logic and Scientific reasoning of these Vaastu principles, go to: Vastu Guidelines | Bathrooms
For an Architect’s ideas on the Design of a Bathroom, go to: